Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Back to School


One great privilege during our Sabbatical Journey is to be able to spend time with Christina, our daughter, who has come back to Thailand to start her teaching career.  This is actually her third time back to Thailand but our first time in sixteen years.  She will be a guest blogger to give a report on her new job.
Teaching at International Community School (www.icsbangkok. ) has been a wonderful experience so far. I have been settling into Thailand well, and really enjoy my job. I am teaching 2nd grade, and I have 14 students in my class.  Half of my students are Thai and the other half is a mixture of nations.  We just finished out first quarter at school and my students have all done very well!  I have been staying very busy with the work, but am able to occasionally get out and do something on the weekend. I have gone to several large parks in Bangkok, as well as several large shopping malls. Thai people seem to take their shopping malls very seriously. The shopping malls here are huge and have everything one can think of…some of them even have themes-such as each floor being a different country or famous city. A couple of other weekend activities I have done are going to the largest weekend market in Thailand-Chatujak Market, going to the beach in Pataya-on a school retreat, and going to Safari World-where I was licked by a giraffe! Right now we have one week off for our fall break…it is a much needed break after being so busy with school! It has been nice to have my parents in Thailand, and am looking forward to a week with them in Chiang Mai.
                We got to visit Christina’s classroom.  I was able to read the afternoon story to the students and Barbara helped several days in the classroom grading papers and aiding in several projects.  We have been very impressed with both the school personnel and the facilities.  We stayed in an apartment on the floor above Christina so we had several meals together after school.  Christina is also seeking to improve her Thai language ability and is attending a Thai church.  It’s great to be able to see our wonderful daughter’s situation and it is a real answer to prayer.  
Story time.

Science Experiment.

Role-reversal.  Christina used to help Barbara teach but now it's the other way around!

1 comment: